Friday, February 8, 2008

Good morning Saint John

Good morning, everybody, I guess. I'm at CBC Fredericton, comandeering the P.C. of intrepid radio reporter Angela Chang. If Kyle Cunjak is Fredericton's busiest promotor/photographer/musician, Angela is likely the busiest journalist. Somehow, she made it to the metal stage at the Elk's Club last night, in her capacity as reporter, and also made it to work for 4 a.m. this morning, as usual.

And speaking of that sort of thing, I'd just like to take this small bit of space to praise Patrick's gentle wakeup abilities. At 6 a.m. this morning, my cell phone made its alarm noise because I had to make my early-morning hit for CBC Radio Saint John. I responded by promptly rolling over.

My mom would have stood at the foot of my bed yelling and bouncing the mattress with one foot and flickering the light. Patrick rubbed my back in a circular motion and said, 'Sweetheart, sweetheart don't lose yourself this morning.'

That said, he didn't have the presence of mind to remember how a cell phone works when I asked him to call me a cab.

That's because we were out at all hours last night. ALL. HOURS. Carousing at the Marquee (above Jack's Pizza in the Tannery) with (speaking of Saint John) Chuck Teed of BBQ Records fame. I interviewed Chuck last year around the release of the third installment of his label's signature compilation franchise, Saint John's Finest. Saint John 3: The Revenge showcased the Port City's long list of indie bands.

Chuck was manning the door at the BBQ Records and Music N.B.-sponsored no-case, the highlight of which, for me, was a draw between the performance by Shotgun Jimmie, of Shotgun and Jaybird fame, and the spontaneous interpretive dance routine thrown together at the last minute by... some drunk guy. I really wish I could have gotten pictures of either of those things, but Patrick, bless his heart, was over at the Capital Bar at that time, soaking up all the no-cover goodness and capturing images of Halifax's Rebekah Higgs.

On our walk home last night/this morning, we saw Julie Doiron walking towards the Tannery area. Big fans! We were halfway down the street before we remembered that we are bloggers with a camera. Oh well. Next time.

As for right now, I have to go get ready for hits with Fredericton and Moncton. Those will run simultanously around 8:15 in both cities. Photos of last night later, the next time I'm anywhere near my camera.